Over the last 13+ year’s we’ve been married, my husband and I have have made a lot of moves. We have lived in the Southwest and the Midwest. (Specifically, we lived in New Mexico, Indiana, New Mexico again, Illinois and now we are back in New Mexico for good.)
You can see that my personal style has slowly changed over time and with each passing year, I feel like I am honing in on it a little better.
I am on a journey to create a home that feels fully like us and yet still nods to our current desert life.
Paint Colors I’ve used in our home :
- White throughout home – BEHR PREMIUM PLUS Interior Paint in Bit of Sugar PR-W14
- Guest Bathroom – BEHR PREMIUM PLUS® Interior Paint in Dragonfly PPU12-03
- Kitchen Island – BEHR PREMIUM PLUS Interior Paint in English Channel
- Accent Wall in Main Bedroom – BEHR PREMIUM PLUS Interior Paint in Thermal
- Office Walls – BEHR PREMIUM PLUS Interior Paint in Nocturnal Blue
- Laundry Room – BEHR PREMIUM PLUS Interior Paint in Stone Walls
How to create a Modern Southwest home:
LIVING ROOM –
Our living room is probably the best room in our home. With over 12′ tall ceilings and a wall of windows facing the local Mountains, this room is full of sunshine year round. I’ve kept this room all white, but added personality and character to the space with unique wall art, a wall of built-in Southwest nichos and a dramatic but simple fireplace.
Living Room Projects
- Disco Balls in our everyday decor
- Gorgeous Gray Burrow Sofa
- How to Paint an Arch Accent Wall
- Clay Ring Wall Art
- Minimalist Living Room with Plants
SHOP our living room –
Our kitchen is a sea of outdated white cabinets, but I knew with just a little effort I could really give the space a new fresh look. I gave the kitchen walls a fresh coat of white paint and added a dark blue to the island. Then I put on new gold cabinet hardware and installed Moroccan Removable Wallpaper on the backsplash that had previously been mirrors.
- Update your kitchen for <$300
- How to Install Removable Wallpaper
- Picking the right Barstools for your Kitchen
SHOP our kitchen –
FRONT ENTRY –
I participated in a New Year New Room four week challenge to update our front entry! See all the fun DIYs that went into creating this new Boho feel, below.
Front Entry Projects
- Week 1 Front Entry Refresh Plan
- Week 2 Painting + Patching
- Week 3 Ring Yarn Art
- Week 4 Reveal of Modern Boho Front Entry
DINING ROOM –
Our dining room had such potential, but it was creamy and tan and orange – yikes. I gave this room a fresh coat of white paint, added black diamond decals and installed a fun modern light fixture for an entirely new look! It was also featured in HGTV magazine in a two page spread!
Dining Room Projects
- Modern Southwest Dining Room
- Mix and Match Artwork
- Creating a Wallpaper look without Wallpaper
- Modern Neutral Dining Room
SHOP our dining room –
TWEEN BEDROOM –
My little lady is no longer all that little, which makes me tear up quickly if I think about it for very long. Regardless, I’ve always told my children when they turn 10 I will give their bedrooms an official “decorating update”. Until then, it’s a bit of a design/thrifted free for all to be completely honest, ha.
Together she and I came up with a plan and over six weeks turned her room into something really special. I am so thrilled with how it came out!
Tween Bedroom Projects
- Week 1 Little Girl’s Updated Bedroom Plan
- Week 2 Tween Girl Modern Bedroom Accent Wall
- Week 3 DIY Woven Plant Stand
- Week 4 How to Modernize Bifold Doors
- Week 5 Selecting Tween Artwork
- Week 6 Modern Tween Colorful Bedroom reveal
- Simple Dresser update with Wallpaper
- Adding Duvet Ties
SHOP the tween bedroom –
HALLWAY BATHROOM –
This is the main bathroom that guests and my children use in our home. I have never been one to make a bathroom look very “child like”, but prefer that anyone of any age feel welcome in the space. To accomplish that, I choose a beautiful deep teal paint color for the DIY board and batten. Then I color matched the paint color for a fun organic looking leaf wallpaper.
Hallway Bathroom Projects
- Hallway Bathroom Plans
- How to Remove Shower Glass Doors
- Modern Board and Batten
- Hallway Bathroom Reveal
- How to Frame WASH Artwork with Framebridge
SHOP our bathroom –
MOODY OFFICE –
I was craving a bold new feel in my office. I previously had painted dashes on the walls with a fun lively eclectic creative art gallery. Now, I was needing moody and a slightly more sophisticated feel. I’m so thrilled with how it turned out!
Moody Office Projects
- Week 1 Office Plan
- Week 2 Painting Office Moody Blue
- Week 3 Adding Removable Wallpaper to a room
- Week 4 Spackle DIY Art
- Week 5 Slow going week
- Week 6 Woven Wooden Cabinet
- Week 7 Painted Wood Slat Wall
SHOP my Moody Office –
CREATIVE OFFICE / GUEST ROOM –
This is what my office previously looked like. I loved this more whimsical and creative feel, but am happy with it’s more moody look currently.
Creative Office Projects
- How to make a creative Gallery Wall
- Brushstroke Painted Wall
- Interior Paint Sprayer
- Creative Office Refresh
- Circle Accent Wall with Wallpaper
SHOP my creative office / guest room –
LAUNDRY ROOM –
Who says laundry room’s need to be boring and stuffy? Not me, clearly! I worked with an acrylic paint brand to create this so fun Stenciled Wall in my laundry. I am completely in love with it’s new look!
PRIMARY BEDROOM –
Primary Bedroom Projects
- Master Bedroom Refresh Plan
- Master Bedroom Paint + Colors
- How to paint an Organic Paint Line Accent Wall
- Dried Pampas Grass Wreath
- Master Bedroom Refresh Reveal
SHOP our Primary Bedroom –
It’s amazing what some creative artwork can do to a boring hallway! I painted our hallway a fresh coat of white, added two inexpensive runners and then made this fun Block Artwork.
SHOP our Hallway –
CURB APPEAL FRONT DOOR UPDATES –
Our home is very southwest, there is no getting around that fact. However, I think even though that style doesn’t naturally draw me in, that I work to make the curb appeal still make me smile. Our front started off with BRIGHT red doors, gates and accent trim that matched the color of our stucco.
I did some wood rot repair, painted everything a gorgeous slate blue color and white and it feels so fresh and ME now!
Curb Appeal Projects
- Give your Curb Appeal a fresh look with paint
- How to Easily Repair minor Wood Rot
- Painting your Mailbox + Address Tiles
SHOP our front Curb Appeal –
BACKYARD PATIO UPDATES –
Backyard Patio Projects
- 5 Must do tips for updating your back patio
- Painted DIY Dash Doormat
- Garden Tool Pegboard Organization
- Simple Outdoor Rock Repair
- Create a Simple Raised Vegetable Garden
SHOP our back patio –
MODERN MASTER BEDROOM (old house):
SHOP our master bedroom –
CRAFT ROOM (rental house):
LIVING ROOM (rental house):
GUEST ROOM + OFFICE (old house):
KITCHEN (old house):
BIG GIRL’S BEDROOM (rental house):
FRONT STOOP (rental house):
KID’S SHARED BEDROOM (old house):
Anja, here is the page to sign up. Thanks for your sweet comments.
I would love to get your newsletter, but have no idea how to enroll. I would welcome your reply,
Vicki: Here is the link to signup for my newsletter!