INSIDE : Learn how to create the most beautiful Paper Bag Stars to hang in your home this Holiday season. They add a festive Scandinavian look to your Christmas decor.
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure.
This post has been updated since it’s original publish date of November 2020.
There is something about simple holiday decor that is beautiful. It doesn’t get more simple than using everyday brown paper bag stars. They are elegant and classic and this Christmas craft is so easy to make… I plan to make them every year from here on out!
Looking to create some more Advanced Paper Snowflake designs or craft Coffee Filter Holiday Stars?
What supplies do I need to make Paper Bag Stars?
- Brown Paper Lunch Bags (7-9 per star)
- Hot Glue (you can also use Elmer’s glue or even glue sticks, although I think hot glue works best)
- Command Hooks
- Pinking Shears (optional)
- Hole Punch (optional)
- Pencil (optional)
How to make a star out of Paper Bags?
When making paper bag stars, start by placing your first paper bag with the flap facing down and apply hot glue to your bag in a “T” pattern. See below image.
Place your next paper bag on top and repeat this pattern until you have seven to nine bags glued together. The exact number is a visual preference.
Using a pencil draw an arrow point at the opening of your bags and then draw on the embellishment cuts you want to make on the side/middle of your bag.
I did simple triangle cuts on the side, but you could make half circles or half hearts. Both are gorgeous when you open up your bags.
NOTE : After gluing all nine bags together, they can be hard to cut through. I found it helpful to make two stacks of glued bags and cut them as desired. Make sure the patterns match exactly and then glue the two cut stacks together.
This is what it should look like with the top portion cut.
Here it is with the small triangle sides cut.
Once your cuts are made, open up the bags to create this beautiful star shape! You will need to hot glue the two ends together and then your star is complete.
Paper Stars from Lunch Bags
I used simple scotch tape to hang our stars above our fireplace. We also made paper chains and paper snowflakes for a magical Scandinavian Christmas look.
Paper Bag Star Pattern Variations
I want to try a few more brown paper bag stars and try cutting out different shapes and patterns. The options are endless for what they could look like.
You can use simple polka dot paper bags, colored paper bags, add hole punches to your brown paper bag stars or even try hand dying Paper Bag Stars.
I shared these Advanced Snowflake Paper Bags and they add such beauty with the fun shapes they create!
The addition of using Pinking Shears to your paper bag edges adds a lovely zig zag feel.
And did you know you could create Coffee Filter Holiday Stars?! They turned out so wonderfully.
Looking for other simple Holiday crafts?
- How to Dry Orange Slices
- Foraged DIY Advent Wreath
- Gold Leaf Christmas Ornaments
- Snowflake Hot Cocoa
- DIY Clay Garland
- List of Holiday Self-Care Ideas
Holiday Paper Bag Stars
Learn how to create the most beautiful Paper Bag Stars to hang in your home this Holiday season. They add a festive Scandinavian look to your Christmas decor.
- Brown Paper Lunch Bags (7 per star)
- Hot Glue
- Pencil (optional)
- Place the first paper bag with the flap facing down and apply hot glue to the bag in a “T” pattern along the top seam and down the center.
- Place your next paper bag on top and repeat this pattern until you have seven (7) bags glued together.
- Using a pencil draw a point at the "opening" end of the bags and then draw any other embellishment cuts you want to make on the side and/or middle of your bag.
- Simple cuts you could make on the side of your bags are : triangle cuts, half circles or half hearts. All are lovely when you open up your bags.
- Once the cuts are made, open up the bags to create a beautiful star shape!
- Be sure to hot glue the two ends together and the star is complete.
Be sure to check out some of my other holiday decor posts!
Simple Holiday Evergreen Wreath