INSIDE : Learn how to install Easy DIY Faux Garage Door Windows at your home in no time at all with this step by step guide! And adding faux windows are an inexpensive way to upgrade your home’s curb appeal.
Come take a quick virtual walk with me as we head outside to your front yard for a moment. Now, turn around and take a nice long look at the front of your home. What do you see? A painted front door, a few pretty potted plants, maybe some shutters if you are lucky. What about that big empty white box — the not so pretty garage door, ew!
Let’s be honest, most of us have dull boring garage doors, but with minimal DIY effort and low cost you will be amazed at the huge impact you can give your front curb appeal. Today I will be sharing how to best install Fake Garage Windows!
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure.
What kind of faux Garage Door Windows should I get?
We had done some fairly extensive research for a way to inexpensively update my mom’s garage doors. We found four basic options to improve the look of her garage doors with the look of windows.
- The first kind of window option is installing real windows on your garage door. This is a gorgeous option and has numerous different styles and even price points, but overall it is the most expensive option.
- Another good route to take with windows is a faux magnetic “sticker” like application. The magnetic faux garage door window stickers are basically small black decals that you can apply to your door. You also need to be sure that your garage door is magnetic for this type of sticker to work. Although this is much more reasonably priced than installing real windows, we did not think they had the exact look we were going for.
- The third option for realistic faux windows were these faux garage door windows from Home Depot. When we found them, we knew this was the winning ticket for us. NOTE : It looks like Home Depot no longer carries them, but Amazon does now!!
Amazon sells a set of two windows per kit in three different color options; almond, sandstone and white. And luckily for us, the white is the most affordable color option.
We were really impressed with these faux garage doors windows. The “black glass” (I think it’s plexiglass, so there is no worry of breaking) really gives the impression of reflecting glass. You can see in the picture below how much they really do reflect. If you didn’t know they were fake windows, you would NEVER guess!
4. The fourth option I really would not recommend, but it seemed like quite a few people still went this route. The last method we found for creating the look of faux windows was simply by painting. First of all, I think it would be difficult to keep this route from chipping and pealing.
Also, the thing we loved most about installing the faux garage door windows was their realistic reflective look. You would not be able to recreate that type of look with just painting black windows on your garage door.
How to install DIY Faux Windows on a Garage Door:
Again, we were really impressed with the ease of installation. It was roughly an hour long project at a beginner’s level of difficulty. Please note, that it would be tricky to do this project with just one person, having another set of hands is key.
After measuring my mom’s garage door, we decided four garage window panels total would fit her space. First, we centered the middle two panels on the garage door and making sure each panel was level, marked with a pencil where each panel would go.
The kits come with a paper template but after the first window is installed, it tears and is not really needed at all.
The next step was to mark the hole locations and then drill pilot holes. We have this Makita Cordless Drill and even I love using it. It makes everything a million times easier when putting together furniture or doing small projects like this.
Then using a level once more, we double checked that the windows were properly aligned. Since we had pre-drilled the holes, the windows went up easily just using a simple screwdriver.
Since we originally helped my mom install these Faux Windows, she had to get a new garage door. It was as easy as her removing the Faux Garage Door Windows and reinstalling them!
- Start by measuring your garage door's entire length. Based on your length, decide upon how many garage window panels total you will need. A typical two car garage will probably need two sets of 2 panels (4 panels in total).
- Next, center the middle two panels on the garage door and after making sure each panel is level, mark with a pencil where all window panels will go.
- Then, mark the hole locations with a pencil and pre-drill the pilot holes. Using a cordIess drill makes everything a million times easier when putting together furniture or doing small projects like this.
- Finally, using your level once more, double check that the windows are properly aligned. Since you pre-drilled the holes, the windows should go up easily using even just a simple screwdriver.
Other easy tips to update your Garage Door:
After we helped my mom install these faux garage door windows, her best friend fell so deeply in love that she immediately went out and bought the same set for her home. She then found these cool magnetic garage door hardware. It gave her garage door more of a traditional Carriage Garage Door look.
Have I made a believer out of you? Who is up for making your garage door look a million times better with me?!!
Shop this DIY Garage Faux Garage Door Window Post: