As some of you know, I have been doing a little mini update to my dining room. I did some rearranging to the space and had a nice big open wall ready for something dramatic. I knew I wanted to have some kind of abstract art, but didn’t know where to start. Today, I am sharing with you how to create an abstract flower painting and the process of creating large paintings!
This post may contain affiliate links. See my full disclosure.
Large White Stretched Canvas | Acrylic Paints | Paint Brushes
STEPS FOR CREATING Abstract Flower ART:
1. Start by picking your paints. I choose paint colors that are pulled from the new rug I have in our dining room.
2. Start creating large flower type leaf shapes in various colors. I used a rosy pink and a vibrant coral paint for these. Then add in dashes in a soft peach.
3. Create movement in your painting by adding in big swooshes of green. I also added a big teal circular shape.
4. Continue to add in dashes and swooshes of green, as well as using your darkest color to create a dark focal point in the center of your floral art.
5. More dashes in other colors layered on top, adds more dimension.
6. I started to not like all the green, so I waited until it was semi dry and added a ton of white paint overtop.
Then I loved the look of just a LITTLE green peaking through the most white.
7. Lastly, I used a small circular sponge pounce and added in a few black polka dots. They are right in the center area, helping to create that perfect balance of white space and focal point.
I am really pleased with how this art piece came together… it takes time to get it just right to your eye. I had to stop many times and walk away to get perspective.
But after I would come back to it, I would get a new idea for layering more white to soften harsh lines or areas that were too saturated.
Ha and I love this taco print beside it.
If you are looking for more Easy DIY Artwork, you might want to check out these simple tutorials I put together for other paintings.