Scrapbook Paper Doll House

231 Flares 231 Flares ×
I made kiddo #1 this scrapbook Paper Doll House for her recent second birthday and boy was it a hit!
If you know me at all, you know I’m not a super girly girl.  While I like polka dots and a graphic looking flower here and there, I’m just not a “dress your girl in all pink with butterflies and hearts and princess’ and ruffles” kind of mama… not that there is a thing wrong with that.
I wanted kiddo #1’s doll house to be sweet but a bit more on trend.

Now.  I have to share this news with the world.  I found the most amazing scrapbook paper on the face of the planet.  I’m probably a million years late to the game, but it’s (affiliate link) American Crafts Dear Lizzy Polka Dot Party 12×12 Paper Pad.  I bought mine at Hobby Lobby, but I’m sure all craft stores sell it.  I want to line my home in some of these prints and I’m not even kidding.  So. crazy. cute.
Supplies:
.Chipboard House (bought mine from Hobby Lobby, $3.99)
.Scrapbook Paper (Hobby Lobby)
.Scissors (those gold beauties were a christmas gift from West Elm. Oh dear, I love them)
.Mod Podge (already had)

The first step is a bit tedious.  All areas of the doll house that will be covered with scrapbook paper, need to be measured and replicated in regular ole’ white paper.  This takes a long time, but it will save you ruining or bending your lovely scrapbook paper.  See my example below of the front face of the house in regular paper.  (And when I say a long time, this entire project took me just an evening, so it won’t take forevvvva long.)

After you have all the regular white paper cut out, you then can trace the white paper onto your lovely scrapbook paper.  I used an Xacto knife to get all the little windows and doors cut perfectly.
Then, I applied one thin layer of Mod Podge on the doll house and then a thin layer on the backside of my scrapbook paper.  This makes the paper adhere perfectly to the house.

Phew.  That roofline was a challenging one, but look how great it turned out!

Clearly, I am no perfectionist as you can see some of my seams here and there.

I was so pleasantly surprised with how well this turned out.

The backside.

Now, who is ready to get your frilly tutu butterfly glitter heart ballerina gear on and play doll houses with me?!

Comments

1. says

Hey Amy! It’s Deonna from the Child at Heart blog…I think this is so fun…I had no idea you could get those houses from the craft store. So fun…I keep seeing things like this and it makes me want a girl too :) I guess I will have to do some boy version of this for now

• says

Deonna, I have plans to do a boy version soon! I just found another smaller house at Hobby Lobby. It was only $3, I believe. Can’t wait to cover it in some fun boy papers!

2. says

Hello Amy!! Stopping over from Create It Thursday! Love the doll house and the scrapbook paper you used. Going to have to make this for my baby girl!! Thanks for the project!
    - Gina @ Always Savory

3. says

The paper is really cute! The best part about this house is a can look really pretty being simple or you can go way out and add as many as embellishments as you would like

• says

I know, I totally had to hold back from going crazy adding things. I was going to add moss to the bottom for grass and a few gems as house decorations… but was going for a more simple look, so I lost them all! I was happy how it turned out in the end.

4. says

Obsessed. Seriously I love this so much, I can’t wait for Scarlett to be old enough for one of these. I want to make a gigantic one covered in all my favorite scrapbook papers lol. Thank you so much for sharing, great project.

5. says

Ok, usually I shy away from those scrapbook packs because I’ll only like maybe a couple of the patterns and none of the rest, but this one is a WINNER. So so cute! Such an adorable project, Amy!

• says

If I remember correctly, they only had two or three different dollhouse types and one of them was a “one story” but otherwise, they are more or less the same size. Thanks for stopping by!