Sharpie Mug Art

With the holidays fast approaching, my mind is in over-drive on simple but personalized gifts for friends and family. Today I am so excited to share with you one of my new favorite gift ideas, Sharpie Mug Art.

This is such a fun and easy gift to make.  I made three in a sitting and already have more in mind to make!
supplies needed:
. mug (I found my mugs for $2.99 at marshall’s
. a sharpie
. an oven
. a bit of baker’s twine
. a pom or two (i made mine out of yarn i had sitting around)

directions:
.one  {There are many methods to start the design of this project with.  You can free-hand a design, write out a poem, doodle, etc.  On this instance, I used my Silhouette printer.} I came up with three different designs for my three mugs and printed them out on black vinyl adhesive.
sharpie mug art 2
.two  Before doing anything to the mugs, I cleaned them with a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol to remove any grease from handling.  The sharpie will not adhere as well to a dirty mug.
.three  After I cut out the vinyl, I carefully placed it on the mug.  I had to peel it off a few times to get it just right.  Make sure to tap gently at all the edges to ensure the vinyl is adhered nicely to the mug… you don’t want sharpie to make it’s way under there!
sharpie mug art 3
.four  Grab your sharpie and go to town.  I learned to trace all the edges first and then fill in the designs.
sharpie mug art 4
.five  After my designs were done, I removed the vinyl.
sharpie mug art 5
.six  Place your mug on a baking sheet and put in the oven.  Set your oven for 450F.  It is important to put your mug inside the oven as it slowly heats up, this will help prevent any cracking.  Once at 450F, set the timer for 30 minutes.  Turn the oven off after 30 minutes and allow the mugs to slowly cool in the oven.  (The entire “cooking” process took me about 40-50 minutes with all the warming up, baking and then cooling down.)
sharpie mug art 6
.seven  Once your mugs have cooled, you can remove them and enjoy your hand-work.
.eight  Dress up your mug with some baker’s twine and a few poms.  A perfect personalized gift!
sharpie mug art 7
sharpie mug art 8
Now, go grab a mug and a Sharpie and get creative!
{note: at the above noted temperature, my three mugs were all dishwasher safe}

I also wanted to remind everyone that I’m participating in a Handmade Holiday series and we currently are hosting a link party.  After linking up, your posts will be shared on FOUR different blogs.  So jump on over and share your holiday drinks, recipes, crafts and gift ideas!

Comments

1. says

I spotted this on House of Rose’s link party and had to check it out.. so cool!! I’m definitely trying this one… would be an awesome gift idea for a boss or co-worker.

2. says

Thank you for linking up @ Craft, Create & Inspire last week, your awesome project is featured this week..

Stop by the linky party tomorrow and grab a featured button !!

Looking forward to seeing your awesome projects from this week

Claire @ Live Love Create x

3. says

OMG, I totally love this. I say “You’re my favorite” to my husband all the time, so I think I need to make one of those. You’re my favorite post from last week’s Eat. Create. Party!, so stop by tonight when we go live at 8:00 EST to grab a featured button! :) Thanks for linking up!!

• says

Thanks Chrissy! Yes, I just found those different layouts in the Silhouette Online store. And I have washed them all once in the dishwasher and they came out just fine. I’ve heard the cheaper the mugs, the better!

4. says

I love these mugs! I have seen plenty of sharpie mug ideas, but I have to say, yours are my favorite! Such cute designs and so on trend. I think that these would be perfect to add a gift card to or some jewelry and lip gloss and give as a birthday gift for my girls friends. You are awesome! Pinning!

Thanks so much for the inspiration!
    Happy Weekend!

Tausha
    sassystyleredesign.com

5. says

Looking just for something like this for the ladies in the office. Inexepensive but looks expensive! Thanks for posting on Gingersnaps. Today I bought two fine china mugs by Cambridge at our TJMaxx has we have no Marshalls. They are dishwasher and microwave safe but do you think they will hold up to the heat of the oven like that? Also do you think advising to hand wash instead of dishwasher would hold the colors longer? I might have to try Dollar Tree for something else. Please advise on what I’ve already purchased. Thanks

6. says

Amy, was looking for something quick and easy for the gals in the office. Thanks for posting on Gingersnaps! Today I bought fine china mugs by Cambridge at TJMaxx as we have no Marshalls nearby anymore. They are micrwave and dishwasher safe but do you think they will hold up to the heat? Mike’s had nothing but I didn’t think about Dollar Tree not sure what they have. Do you think advising to hand wash instead of dishwasher would help the color hold longer? Awaiting your reply or should I e-mail you elsewhere?

• says

I’ll reply here so you get notified. Yes, I believe it works on all ceramics. I would maybe do a test just to be sure before you purchase a classroom of plates. I also read that the cheaper the ceramic the better. I used regular black sharpie markers. I read oil based sharpies worked really well, too. As far as other colors go, I think some colors lighten. A friend did a project using metallic sharpies and all the colors ended up turning silver. So if you want to use various colors, maybe you could do a test ceramic plate or platter and see how different colors work. I only used black, so that’s the only one I can really stand by working. Good luck!

• says

Thank you Amy I will do just that. Off to the Dollar Tree I go. Is their an email I could send a picture of our finished products to you. Can’t wait to get started. God Bless. Mrs. Valerie

7. says

Amy do you think this would work on ceramic plates or vases? Did you use a regular sharpie and would other colors work just as well. Sorry for all the questions but I have been looking for something diferent for my preschoolers to make for their parents. My littles love art and markers. After 25 years of teaching I’m out of ideas, lol. Your mugs are gorgeous. Have a geat day. Mrs. Valerie

8. says

What a fabulous gift idea! I am definitely pinning this. If I don’t make some for teacher gifts, I will make some for myself :). So cute! Thanks for sharing with the Pin It Monday Hop!

9. says

Just stopping by to say thanks for linking up at The Merriest Blog Hop! This post was great (and I loved your ornament one too!) I couldn’t decide which one I wanted to feature but since I’ve been wanting to do some coffee mug art, I decided to feature this post for this week’s party :-) Thanks so much for sharing!

Happy (early) Thanksgiving!
    Alicia

10. says

These are so cute!! I have done this with regular sharpies and oil sharpies- I have read now that the oil sharpies are better and will last longer and that the regular will eventually wash off but haven’t actually tested it myself. Love the designs you chose Amy!!

11. says

This is a great tutorial! I made a few mugs but the directions I had said to bake them at 350 degrees. I think the alcohol/cotton ball and 450 degrees will help the life of the art. I have pinned this to my “home” Pinterest board.

12. says

This is a perfect gift for the holidays! Was just telling hubby we need to make personalized gifts this year and this is a great way to make it happen. Thanks for sharing. Pinning! Happy Thanksgiving!

13. says

I love this idea but I just can’t believe the baking in the oven thing really works – does it? How many times have you dishwashered them now? I just remember when my kids were small and we used ceramic paint that we baked in the oven and was then supposed to be washable, after about 3 washes it had all come off!
    I suppose I could just give it a try and see. Your designs are great, especially the speckliness.

• says

I’ll be honest, Julia I’ve only washed them all once. I am giving to my family as gifts, so I’ve not used them daily and washed a million times yet. I’ve read other people doing this and they say it stays on… I’ll report back after the holidays once my family uses them more often!