We currently live in a rental and it’s smaller than the home we previously owned… so having extra space is a glorious luxury that we do not have much of these days. One of my favorite things is to go through closets, drawers, games, etc… and purge (I know, I live an exciting life)! I then create piles that I donate to various local organizations. Today, I’m going to share 25 things to throw out and feel awesome about (and you probably won’t even miss) because I have a feeling whether you have the extra space or not, we all could do with a little less!
And because many of us, organizing types love a good checklist… I’ve also made this into a printable checklist which you can download at the bottom of this post.
Okay, are you ready? Grab some empty boxes and let’s get at it!
BATHROOM ITEMS to throw out and feel awesome about:
1. Makeup that is long past it’s ‘best use by’ date.
2. Toiletries that you will never use (creams, lotions, hair color kits).
3. Hair products that you used when your style was different (gels, creams, waxes, mousses).
4. Old nail polish in a color you don’t wear any more.
LINEN CLOSET ITEMS to throw out and feel awesome about:
5. Old pillow cases or sheets that you never use.
6. Out of date medicines, creams/lotions or ointments.
BEDROOM ITEMS to throw out and feel awesome about:
7. Clothes that don’t fit. Would you buy that item right now in a store? No, then it’s time to toss.
8. Earrings that don’t have their matching partner. It’s so hard to say goodbye.
9. Any under garments that have simply seen better days.
10. Shoes that hurt when you wear them.
LIVING ROOM ITEMS to throw out and feel awesome about:
11. Old magazines or newspapers that you are saving for a “rainy day”.
12. Games or puzzles where some of the pieces are missing.
13. Throw pillows that have lost their shape.
14. Used candles that the wick has worn down and it can’t be lit again.
OFFICE + STUDY ITEMS to throw out and feel awesome about:
15. Pens that have run out of ink and don’t work any longer.
16. Small quantities of wrapping paper or gift ribbon that won’t wrap or hold anything.
KITCHEN ITEMS to throw out and feel awesome about:
17. Kitchen gadgets you never have used (bread machine, the bullet chopper, salad spinner).
18. Any mugs over the total number of people you would ever have drinking in your home at once.
19. Recipe books you don’t use.
20. Tupperware or plastic storage containers with missing lids.
MISC ITEMS to throw out and feel awesome about:
21. Spare buttons from clothes that you are keeping”just in case”.
22. Things in your home that you look at and really don’t like.
23. Chargers and cords for phones/cameras/electronics that you no longer own.
24. Greetings cards from past events (only keep those that are truly sentimental).
25. Old receipts that you have sitting around with no purpose.
PHEW! Did you make it through the list? Even if you could purge or toss just two items from each category, I would say it would be a huge win for your home and probably your sanity. Keep only objects that bring you happiness. Life is too short to surround yourself with clutter.